Clear sky, 18 °C / 64.4 °F
The City of Independence has established a full time (30-40 hr.) paid internship program, to work closely with city staff, community leaders, and the economic development director on projects and activities designed to improve communication and collaboration with the Independence Latino community. Intern will seek ways to empower the Latino community to make use of city/community resources and to participate in local events, leadership roles, and city jobs.
Intern will be responsible for the creation and execution of special programs/initiatives and will act as a liaison between the municipality, various community/business organizations, and the general public. The intern should develop knowledge about services and programs offered by the municipality and develop an understanding of community needs. In addition, the intern may seek business/community funding sources which could assist the municipality in defraying the costs of programs and projects. Consistent interactions with municipal personnel, public officials, community and business leaders, and the general public is a critical aspect of this position. Intern should be able to asses/identify community needs and develop programs or facilitate community collaborations in response to those needs.
Interns will have the opportunity to build a robust professional network in Polk County, surrounding cities, and in the state. Interns will be able to participate in and observe a wide range of city meetings and to provide administrative support in pertaining city projects. Examples include attending economic development meetings, planning meetings, stakeholder meetings, or meetings that are relevant to the intern’s career aspirations. Intern may also have an opportunity to develop grant writing skills to the extent that this is of interest to them. The internship is meant to offer interns with an opportunity to explore the wide range of careers and services available in city government and to develop desired professional skills.
Examples of work:
• Coordinating special programs/events within the community or municipal government (E.g. Community Resource Fairs, Roundtable Discussions, Service Provider Meetings)
• Establishing and maintaining contact with Independence families by bringing visibility to the position at community events, church services, schools, parent groups, etc.
• Translating informational documents for Spanish-speaking families as needed and distributing informational material to residents.
• Updating the Latino Outreach city website
• Recruiting and leading teams of volunteers for outreach efforts as needed (e.g. to communicate event details, services available, etc.)
• Maintaining contact with business and community leaders by attending networking events, community meetings, introducing self to various networks and leaders, etc.
• Researching and submitting letters of inquiry/grant proposals for related projects
• Candidates must be able to commit to at least 30 hours of work (may include evenings and weekends)
• Candidates must have a strong interest in working with issues affecting underserved communities in general, and the Latino population in particular
• Self-motivated and able to work independently*
• Strong organizational, and time management skills
• Ability to prioritize tasks, take initiative and set/meet expected timelines
• Ability to envision, propose, and execute special programs/projects/events*
• Ability to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, partner agencies and visitors
• Ability to recruit and lead volunteer teams for outreach projects
• Ability to conduct grassroots outreach when needed (i.e. door knocking, church announcements, canvassing, etc.)
• Ability to work with diverse groups
• Proven ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish, and superior verbal and written communication skills in both languages*
• Ability to speak effectively in front of larger groups (occasionally, as needed), with individuals from the general public, as well as government and non-profit employees
• Good judgment and discretion on confidential matters
• Excellent e-mail/phone etiquette
BENEFITS AND DETAILS