This three story commercial building is rectangular in plan and has a flat roof which slopes to the rear. There is decorative parapet inscribed with the "Sperling Buiding." The building is constructed of brick and has pilasters with decorative caps. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are boarded over double hung wood sash on the upper stories and a retail base on the ground floor. There is a narrow course above the retail base and a brick bulkhead with wood window frames and cast stone coping on the northeast corner. A cornice has been removed and the retail base altered. The building faces east on the corner of "B" Street and South Main Street and is in good condition. The Sperling Hotel was built by Albert Sperling in 1913 after a fire destroyed the Little Palace Hotel which was located on the southeast corner of 2nd and "C" Street. The building was originally named the Lerona Hotel after Sperling's two daughters Leona and Rowena. The Sperlings came from North Dakota in 1910 and settled one and one half miles north of Independence where they operated a meat market and slaughter house. The hotel was a very prominent structure in town and had a bank, dining room, lobby, baker and sample room on the first floor. It was also equipped with steam heat. By 1925 the hotel was under the management of Moss Walker, a prominent citizen in the area, and was renamed the Beaver Hotel. The building has housed numerous businesses over the years and is still a prominent building in town.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow