This two story school has a modified "H" plan, and is covered with a multi-hipped and gabled roof with exposed rafters. The building is constructed of brick in a stretcher bond pattern. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are twelve over twelve double hung wood sash. There are multi-paned arched window openings on the second story. There is a terra cotta ornament between the window bays. The recessed entry door has vertical panels and a transom light. The gymnasium recently constructed on the northwest corner of the block to the west of the school building is associated with the school. The building faces east on one and one half blocks of South Fourth Street, and is in excellent condition.
The present Independence Elementary School is the site for a former school building which was constructed in 1891. In 1925-26 the Oregon Normal School built the existing building for a cost of $117,361. The building was used as a training school facility until it was converted into a elementary school. A two room addition to the building was made in 1959.