This one story commercial building is rectangular in plan and has a flat roof with a parapet. Buff brick with a coffered façade sheaths the exterior. The bulkhead is clad with vertical tongue and groove siding. A fixed pane window and transom windows are on the front elevation. Green carrara glass and a fixed awning decorate the storefront. The carrara glass and retail base are alterations to the original structure. The building faces south on "C" Street and is in good condition. The Independence Post Office originally occupied the site in the 1880's and 1890's. Other early uses of the site include a barber shop and a printing shop. The present building was occupied by Clifford McBeth, a plumber, in the 1930's and Foster's Plumbing the 1940's. Ben Johnson and Coquolette were the masons for the building and were responsible for the masonry work on a number of the early buildings and sidewalks in the Independence area.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow