This one and one half story commercial building is rectangular in plan with a rear extension. There is a low pitched gable roof with a parapet wall and capitals. The building is sheathed in stucco and has an altered retail base. There is a long multi-light transom window and decorative cast iron pilasters flank the recessed entry. The building is facing east on South Main Street and is in excellent condition. The Sanborn Maps indicate that a hardware store was located in the building from 1884 until 1888. By 1890 a dry goods store replaced the hardware store and was located in the building until 1902. Helen Kirkland was an early owner of the building and owned Tom Smith's Grocery Store which was located in the adjacent building. The building has been a tavern and pool hall since 1930.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow