206 S Main Street - The Cooper Building

The City of Independence Oregon - Official Website
Year Built:
Queen Anne

This two story commercial building is rectangular in plan and has a flat roof which slopes to the rear with a decorative parapet wall.  The building is constructed of polychromatic brick on the upper stories and has a plain brick retail base.  The windows are one over one double hung wood sash with a lunette and decorative arches, and oriel windows on the north elevation.  A polygonal bay window flanked by recessed panels is in the octagonal tower which is located in the southeast corner of the building.  There are also stained glass windows in the tower and decorative stone caps on the front elevation.  The building was extensively remodeled in 1959 and again in 1978.  The building faces east on the corner of South Main Street and C Street and is in excellent condition.

The J.S. Cooper building was built in 1895 and was constructed of local brick from John R. Cooper's (no relation) local brickyard.  J.S. Cooper was born in Missouri in 1841 and came to Oregon in 1863 and became a very prominent businessperson in Independence, establishing himself in the banking business.  But in 1900 he gave up the banking business in favor of hop growing.  Cooper was very politically active and was a delegate to the national Republican convention in 1888.  In 1905 he represented Polk and Lincoln Counties in the legislature.  J.S. Cooper married Frances Graves of Independence, the daughter of an early Independence Pioneer C.B. Graves.  The Coopers had three Children.  J.S. Cooper died in Portland on July 5, 1921


EC= Eligible/ Contributing

NHD= Listed in Historic District

Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow

Main Street Pre 1900Early 1900's206 S Main Street - The Cooper BuildingMain Street Storefront 1923206 S Main Street - The Cooper Building19571959196219711985C Street side 1959C Street side 1957C Street side 1960C Street 1959J.S. Cooper206 S Main Street - The Cooper Building206 S Main Street - The Cooper BuildingSitting at the corner of Main and C in 1939