211 S. Main Street

211 Main photo
Classification:
Primary
Year Built:
1885
Style:
Commercial

This one story commercial building is asymmetrical in plan and has a flat roof which slopes toward the rear, and a parapet wall. The building is constructed of brick with partial brock pilasters. A brick foundation supports the building. The windows are fixed sash with decorative muttons on the north elevation. There are accordion doors to the west and an offset corner entry. There is a dentil belt course along the east and south elevations. The windows have been altered, the chimney at the parapet wall has been removed and track doors have been added to the west elevation. The building faces southeast on the corner of Main Street and "C" Street and is in fair condition. The bank was built by J.S. Cooper in 1885. This building was Independence's first bank and was said to be "one of the most compact and neatly furnished and equipped office buildings in the state, furnished with the latest improved chronometer lock safe, and a fine large fire proof vault which has the best doors of any deposit vault in the valley". J.S. Cooper also constructed the Cooper the Cooper Block located at 206 S. Main in 1895. Cooper, a prominent business person, was active in the banking business, hop industry and politics. The building later served as a tavern, the Post Office from 1907 until 1913 and Charbonneau's Meat and Grocery store.

Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow

photo courtesy of Independence Heritage Museumphoto courtesy of Independence Heritage Museumphoto courtesy of Independence Heritage Museumphoto courtesy of Independence Heritage Museum
Drupal 6 Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux