This two story commercial building is rectangular in plan with a rear extension it is covered with a flat roof which slopes to the rear. A parapet wall is seen on the front elevation. The building is constructed of brick and has end pilasters. A concrete sash capped with segmental arches with label moldings. There is a belt cornice and a drip corbel cornice. The retail base has new weatherboard and single pane windows. A central wooden false front facade. The second story was added probably ca. 1913. The building faces east on Main Street and is in good condition. The 1888 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map indicates that the building was occupied by a book and stationary store operated by W.H. and Robert Craven on the first floor. By 1902 the first floor had been divided into a millinery and shoe store. In 1903 William H. Craven became the proprietor of a book and stationary store located in the building. By 1913 Craven had enlarged the building to make room for a soda fountain and candy and cigar counter. The upper story called Campbell Hall was used by a fraternal organization as a meeting hall. William Craven served two terms as the mayor of Independence (1908-09) and was elected to the city council. He belonged to the Chamber of Commerce and held all the chairs of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Calbreath's Grocery and William's Drug occupied the building in the 1930's. The building functioned as a bowling alley in the 1940's.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow