This one and one half story commercial building is rectangular in plan and has a flat roof. Roman brick siding clads the bulkhead and wood shakes sheath the exterior. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are fixed pane commercial with new aluminum frames. There is a projecting shingle falsefront mansard roof which is a later addition. The storefront was altered in 1960 and the brick bulkhead was installed in 1951. The building faces west on Main Street and is in good condition. The building is divided into three stores and has had a number of tenants. The center store (223 S. Main) has been in continuous use as a barber shop since 1916. It was originally occupied by Red William's Barber Shop and in 1927 it was renamed the Moder Barber Shop by Forman Huntley. Cliff Harden bought the business in December 1950 and still occupies the building. The northernmost store (215 S. Main) was a shoe store for a long time and is now occupied by a mountaineering store. The southernmost sore (227 S. Main) was occupied by a number of restaurants including Nedreys and Hazel's Cafe. Clyde Wunder and Charles Wilson remodeled the building for a restaurant in the 1940's.
EC= Eligible/ Contributing
NHD= Listed in Historic District
Comments: Separate buildings are now adjoined to house one business. Formerly in database as 223-227 S Main St.
1950s storefront remodel
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow