This one story commercial building is rectangular in plan and has a flat roof with a parapet wall. The building is constructed of brick with a mock flagstone retail base. A concrete and brick pier foundation supports the building. The retail base has a recessed entry. There is a decorative blind arcade on the front elevation. A storefront added to the south elevation was later covered over. The mock flagstone was added in 1962 and the canopy was removed from the building. A neon "Coca-Cola" sign hangs from the southeast corner of the building. The building faces east on the corner of South Main Street and Monmouth Street and is in good condition. The building was built by financiers H. Hirschberg and Rosedorf around 1884. The Sandborn Map indicates that an agricultural merchandising store was located in the building in that year. Hirschberg was a prominent businessperson and built the Independence National Bank in 1889. By 1888 a hardware store had replaced the agricultural store and a small addition was added to the rear. Max Goldmen owned a grocery store which was located in the building in 1913. The Sylvester Drug store occupied the building in the 1930's and was purchased by Ed and Leila Taylor in 1944. The drug store has been an important gathering place for the citizens of Independence and still retains a soda and lunch counter. The store also has an extensive collection of authentic Coca Cola trays, believed to be one of the larger collections in the country. Taylor's closed in 2006 after over 60 years in business.
EC= Eligible/ Contributing
NHD= Listed in Historic District
Comments: 1960 storefront remodel; large awning over exposed transom
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow