This one and one half story residence is rectangular in plan with an intersecting gable roof covered with shingles. Narrow shiplap siding with cornerboards sheaths the exterior. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are leaded glass fixed pane with a projecting cornice which replaced the original windows. There is a projecting bungalow era front porch with square posts and a solid balustrade on the front elevation. The original posts supporting the building have been replaced with a concrete foundation. There is an additional north elevation, a new chimney and the second story and front porch were added sometime after 1913. There is an outbuilding associated with the property. The building faces west on Walnut Street and is in excellent condition.
The original owners of the building were the Hodge family, who bought the newly completed house from D.B. Taylor around 1890. Mr. Hodge moved to Independence from Canada in the 1880's and was manager of Charles K. Spaulding Logging Co. for a number of years. He was the city librarian in 1911-1912.
EC= Eligible/ Contributing
NHD= Listed in Historic District
Comments: House has c.1915 bungalow additions
1.5-story EC outbuilding
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow