This two story residence is asymmetrical in plan and has an intersecting hip roof covered with composition shingles. Narrow shiplap siding sheaths the exterior. A concrete and brick foundation supports the residence. The windows are one over one double hung wood sash and Chicago windows. There is a rectangular bay window with a shed rood. The hip roof front porch has a projecting gable, plain posts and a solid balustrade. The front roof front porch has a projecting gable, plain posts and a solid balustrade. The front porch is partially enclosed and wraps around the side of the residence. The rear porch has battered porch supports and a tongue and groove balustrade. Alterations include enclosing the porch;a one story rear addition, a battered end wall chimney and replaced sidelights, c. 1920. The building faces north on the corner of "C" Street and South Fifth Street and is in good condition.
The building was constructed by J.D. Irvine in 1890. J.D. was a merchant and had his store in the Craven building located at 226 S. Main Street. Charlie Irvin was a prominent citizen of Independence and was co-owner of the Farmer's State Bank which was located 250 S. Main Street.