This one and one half story residence is rectangular in plan with additions and has a gable roof with gable dormers. The roof is covered with composition shingles. Wide weatherboard siding and brick sheath the exterior. The windows are paired one over one and three over one double hung wood sash. The gable ends and dormers have boxed cornices with partial returns. The rear elevation porch has a hip roof supported by slender, turned, columns. Brick veneer has been added to the gable end and some windows have been replaced. The building faces south on the corner of Monmouth Street and South Fifth Street and is in fair condition.
The building was originally constructed by Charles Mattison who built two other residences on Monmouth Street. Mattison was born in Oswego, N.Y. in 1848. He married Elnora Wilson in 1874 and relocated to Oregon in 1878. He farmed on 140 acres directly across from Independence on the east side of the Willamette. The Mattison's owned two businesses in downtown Independence. Charles Mattison was on the city council and was active in the Elks club and the Odd Fellows. Elnora belonged to various organizations including the Rebekas, the Degree Circle, the Fraternal Univion, the Pythian Sisters and the Yeomans. Charles and Elnora remained in the residence until 1918 when it was sold to Grover and Nola Mattison. Grover was a hop farmer in Marion County. Barbara Mattison Martin was born in the house which is currently owned by Barbaras son and daughter in law.
NC= Not Eligible/ Non-Contributing
NHD= Listed in Historic District
Comments: Vinyl windows; detached NC garage
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow