This two story residence is asymmetrical in plan and has a multi-gable roof with wide overhanging eaves and composition shingles. The weatherboard siding on the first story and shingles on the second story are separated by the belt course. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are six over one double hung wood sash. The entrance has leaded glass and sidelights with a medallion motif. The gabled entry porch is supported by square wooden posts which rest on brick pedestals. The porch has curvilinear brackets and projecting rafters. There is a porte cochere on the west elevation below a sleeping porch with French doors. The carport is a later addition and the sun porches on the southwest corner have been enclosed. The building faces north on the corner of Monmouth Street and South Seventh Street and is in excellent condition.
A contributing small guest house constructed after 1925 is located southeast of the house.
This building was constructed in 1914 by Kersey and Ruth Eldridge. Kersey, a prominent businessperson in Independence, owned the local creamery from 1899 to 1922. The creamery was a very profitable business throughout the northwest. Eldridge came to Oregon in 1897 from Utah and started another creamery. The creamery was very successful and in connection with the Independence plant he organized a business in the town of Jefferson, Marion County.
The plant in Independence had a capacity of 25,000 gallons of milk and made one thousand pounds of butter a day. Eldridge was very civic minded and from 1912 to 1915, he served as mayor. He was a member of the Independent Odd Fellows, the Woodman of the World and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. The Eldridges occupied the residence until they moved to Portland in 1922. J.G. and Lottie McIntosh lived in the building during the 1920's. McIntosh was in real estate. The building is on the National Register of Historical Places.
ES= Eligible/ Significant
NRB= Listed Individually and with Historic District
Eldridge House Comments: Intact windows; added rear carport. EC small guest house constructed after 1925 is located southeast of the house.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow