684 S Fifth

The City of Independence Oregon - Official Website
Classification:
Historic Non-Contributing
Year Built:
1904
Style:
Craftsman

This two story house is square in shape with hip roof, composition shingles and small gablet on east and west elevations. The second story windows are all original double hung one over one. The ground floor windows have been mostly replaced with stationary windows. It has cedar shingles added to cover the exterior of the lower floor and the front side wrap around porches have been enclosed. The cedar shingles on the second floor have been removed to expose the original fish scale shingles. The foundation is concrete block. This residence occupies a prominent position on the northwest corner of 5th and G streets. This house is currently being restored and is in fair condition.

The large maples on the east and south side are believed to be part of the original 5th and side street planting of maple trees in the early part of the century.

The house was built by Charles Macauley who was a local carpenter. He built the house for his widowed sister Neill McCauley Graves to use as a boarding house. It has remained in the same family since it was built.

Drupal 6 Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux