This two story residence is rectangular in plan with additions. It has a hip roof with wide eaves and composition shingles. Aluminum siding has replaced the original siding. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are paired and tripled one over one double hung wood sash. There is a polygonal bay window on the east elevation. Six over six double hung wood sash windows are located in the addition which has wide shiplap siding and a gable roof. The other addition has shiplap siding and a hip roof. The chimney has been altered; french doors and a gabled entrance have been added to the house. The building faces south on Monmouth Street, adjacent to Ash Creek, and is in good condition.
The building was occupied by the Davidson family for many years. The Davidsons were an important local hop farming family. Elmer Barnhart occupied the building in the 1930's Barnhart was a lawyer in Independence and established his practice in 1926. Prior to his career as a lawyer Barnhart taught school and then did his post graduate work at the University of London. He was elected District Attorney of Polk County in 1930 and 1934 and served as Mayor of Independence from 1946 and 1949.