Clear sky, 11 °C / 51.8 °F
Vision Statement: Our vision is one in which Independence remains a vibrant, historic, riverfront, full-service community that celebrates its unique multi-cultural heritage and respects the environment while fostering a stable, diversified economy. It is, and will continue as, a community long-recognized for its citizen volunteerism and active participation; where neighbors know one another and take pride in their neighborhoods, parks, trails and schools. Independence honors the past, celebrates the present and embraces the future.
Mission Statement: Independence is a full-service City helping our diverse community achieve and maintain health, prosperity, safety, stability and a desirable quality of life.
1. Establish and maintain financial stability as measured by the following three objectives:
2. Sustain core services and assets including streets, buildings, technology, utilities, public safety, parks and library to high standards in condition, appearance and function.
3. Support the community's ability to provide a broad variety of education, recreation, and cultural activities, events and programs for people of all ages, abilities and interests. The following six Council objectives focus on utilizing resources available to extend services as much as possible:
4. Identify strategies to strengthen the City's economic and community development efforts. The following eight Council objectives foster a robust, diverse economy to provide good jobs and support successful large and small businesses, to ensure financial stability for future generations:
5. Explore reasons for low participation, then create and implement a process to improve access and participation in City boards, commissions, activities and services by people of all demographics.
The City Council adopted a Strategic Plan to provide Council, Staff and the Community metrics to assess the progress being made towards achieving Council and management goals for the successful operation of City government.