Year Built:1892, 1898, 1914
This two story commercial building is L shaped in plan and had a flat roof. The building is constructed of brick and is supported by a brick and concrete foundation. The windows are one over one double hung wood sash with segmental arches and label moldings. The retail base has been altered. There is a soldier pattern brick belt course and brick pilasters on the main elevation. The flat canopy is supported by turned posts and had a turned balustrade on the upper level. The building face west on Main Street at the intersection of Monmouth-Independence Highway. The building is in good condition. The original portion of the Masonic Lodge was built in 1892 and the second was used by the Lyon Lodge No. 29, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the second oldest fraternal organization in Polk County. The first meeting of the lodge was held December 2, 1859 in which the lodge was named after the first Worshipful Master, Lemuel Lyon, a dry goods dealer who helped form the Masonic Lodges in Oregon California. In 1902 the first floor was used as an agricultural implements store and in 1913 a moving picture theater is indicated on the site later. A hardware store occupied the first floor. Two additions were made to the building; the central portion was built in 1898 and the northernmost portion was constructed in 1914.
Click any thumbnail image to view a slideshow