This two story building is rectangular in plan and has a pedimented gable roof. Stucco sheaths the exterior and composition shingles cover the roof. The building is supported by a concrete foundation. Windows are composed of glass overlaid with paired round-headed window openings and stained glass windows on the side elevations. There round headed window openings and stained glass windows on the side elevations. There is a round blind arch above the vertical plank door. Dentils, belt courses and miniature stained glass window embellish the entry way. Buttresses support the side elevations. The rear wing is an addition c. 1965. The building faces east on the corner of "D" Street and South Fourth Street and is in excellent condition.
The Calvary Presbyterian Church was founded in 1881 and one year later the first church building was completed in July at the corner of 4th and "D" Street in Independence. In 1925 plans for a new church were under way due to an increase in the congregation. Funds for the new church were left by C.A. McLaughlin in his will in memory of his wife, Lola. McLaughlin was the president of the First National Bank owned a farm north of Independence. In 1927 the church's building committee authorized the new building. The original church building was offered to the Women's Club for their meeting hall for $1.00 if they moved it off the site. The building was moved to Third Street directly south of the City Library where it is still in use by the Women's Club. The new church building was dedicated to Lola and C.A. McLaughlin in 1928 and cost $21,600 to build. The Christian Education Unit was added to the original structure in 1956 at 75th anniversary celebration. In 1978 the church joined Wesley Methodist Church to form the Christ's Church Methodist-Presbyterian United.