This two story residence is square in plan with a rear addition. It has a low perched hip roof covered with composition shingles. The addition has a gable roof. Wide shiplap siding with cornerboards sheaths the exterior. A concrete foundation supports the building. The windows are elongated one over one double hung wood sash with projecting cornice. There are six over six and four over four double hung wood sash windows on the back porch. The front door has a transom light and the side door is glazed and paneled. There is a decorated frieze along the roofline and paired brackets at the eaves. The front porch has been removed and the rear porch rebuilt. The building faces north on the corner of Monmouth Street and South Sixth Street and is in excellent condition.
The building was originally constructed by Charles Mattison who built two other residences at 460 and 488 Monmouth Street. Mattison was born in Oswego, N.Y. in 1848. He married Elnora Wilson in 1874 and relocated to Oregon in 1878. He farmed on 140 acres directly across from Independence on the east side of the Willamette. The Mattison's owned two businesses in downtown Independence. Charles Mattison was on the city council and was active in the Elks club and the Odd Fellows. Elnora belonged to various organizations including the Rebekas, the Degree Circle, the Fraternal Union, the Pythian Sisters and the Yeomans. The Mattisons occupied the building until 1921.