RULES FOR USE OF THE LIBRARY
While in the library, please do:
- ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT
- LET US KNOW IF THE LIBRARY DOES NOT HAVE THE BOOK OR SERVICE YOU WANT
So that everyone may have a safe and enjoyable experience, Please do not:
- SLEEP OR LOITER
- BRING PETS INTO THE LIBRARY
- BE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF OR CONSUME ALCOHOL OR ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES
- LEAVE CHILDREN 10 YEARS AND UNDER UNATTENDED
- BRING INTO THE LIBRARY ANYTHING WHICH CREATES AN OBSTACLE OR TAKES UP SEATING, INCLUDING BICYCLES, SKATEBOARDS, CARTS OR LARGE BACKPACKS.
- TALK OR PLAY AUDIO EQUIPMENT AT A VOLUME WHICH DISTURBS OTHERS
- USE YOUR CELL PHONE, EXCEPT OUTSIDE, OR (BRIEFLY) IN THE BACK LOBBY. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR PHONE, OR SET IT TO VIBRATE ONLY.
- BE DISRUPTIVE, DISORDERLY, OR HARASS PATRONS AND/OR STAFF
- DISTURB OTHERS BECAUSE OF POOR PERSONAL HYGIENE
- CONDUCT SURVEYS, OR DISTRIBUTE PRINTED MATERIAL
- PANHANDLE, OR SOLICIT FOR SALES OR CHARITY
- DESTROY, DEFACE, OR ABUSE LIBRARY PROPERTY
In addition to the above, violation of any Federal or State statute or local ordinance will be regarded as a violation of library rules. The City of Independence reserves the right to cause to be ejected or refuse further admission to those individuals who violate library rules, create disorder, or engage in illegal activity. Violators are subject to arrest for Trespass. These sanctions are not exclusive and any other remedies available at law or equity to obtain compliance with these rules will be pursued.
Adopted March 3, 1993
Amended: June 27, 2005
Independence Public Library Board