Independence Public Library - Internet Use Guidelines
- You must provide a current Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS) library card or valid picture ID in order to use the Internet.
- To use an Internet computer, sign in at the computer, or make a reservation at the reservation station.
- You may use an Internet access computer for one up to one hour per day. You may be limited to half hour blocks if others are waiting. Times may not be reserved in advance. If you are over 5 minutes late for your scheduled time, the computer will be made available for other users.
- You are financially responsible for copies made.
- To protect computer equipment from viruses, information cannot be saved to the hard drive.
- E-mail -- If your e-mail provider requires you to make changes in computer or browser settings to access your account, you may not send or receive e-mail using the library’s Internet Access computers. Web access to e-mail is allowed as long as no setup changes are made.
- You may not use your own software programs on library computers. This will help prevent computer viruses.
Unacceptable behavior, which may result in the loss of Internet privileges includes:
- Use of Internet access for purposes which violate U.S. or state laws, to transmit or view threatening, obscene, or harassing materials, or to disrupt network users, services or equipment. Disruptions include distribution of unsolicited advertising, propagation of computer worms and viruses or using the network to make unauthorized entry to any other machine accessible via the network.
- Representation of oneself as another person.
- Failing to sign up for an Internet computer; failing to log in using your own library card number or guest card number.
- Making unauthorized copies of copyrighted or licensed software or data.
- Library staff cannot provide in-depth training concerning the Internet, although some may be able to offer searching suggestions and answer questions.
- Independence Public Library reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
- Library users who have been excluded from using Internet computers at other area Public Libraries may be excluded from using those at the Independence Public Library.
You are financially responsible for any damage resulting from misuse or abuse of Internet computers, including changes made to the setup or configuration of the software or hardware.
Adopted, June 3, 1996
Amended, December 1, 1999
Amended, June 2009
Independence Public Library Board