City of Independence Vision, Mission and Goals
Vision Statement: Our vision is one in which Independence remains a vibrant, historic, riverfront, full-service community that celebrates its unique multi-cultural heritage and respects the environment while fostering a stable, diversified economy. It is, and will continue as, a community long-recognized for its citizen volunteerism and active participation; where neighbors know one another and take pride in their neighborhoods, parks, trails and schools. Independence honors the past, celebrates the present and embraces the future.
Mission Statement: Independence is a full-service City helping our diverse community achieve and maintain health, prosperity, safety, stability and a desirable quality of life.
1. Establish and maintain financial stability as measured by the following three objectives:
- Develop a fund balance reserve policy in 2013-14.
- Make substantial annual progress to meet these goals.
- Assure the financial and staff capacity to meet these objectives.
2. Sustain core services and assets including streets, buildings, technology, utilities, public safety, parks and library to high standards in condition, appearance and function.
3. Support the community's ability to provide a broad variety of education, recreation, and cultural activities, events and programs for people of all ages, abilities and interests. The following six Council objectives focus on utilizing resources available to extend services as much as possible:
- By the end of FY 2014, develop and pursue a funding strategy to complete the ballfield complex and make it operational.
- Engage youth in government by creating a leadership development process in partnership with the school district or other youth-focused organizations.
- Enhance facilities and support activities that promote Independence history and heritage.
- Increase the public awareness and use of community assets.
- Maximize the value of the Conference Center by including it in plans for a hotel.
- Promote/assist WIMPEG success.
4. Identify strategies to strengthen the City's economic and community development efforts. The following eight Council objectives foster a robust, diverse economy to provide good jobs and support successful large and small businesses, to ensure financial stability for future generations:
- Participate in developing and implementing a strategic plan for fiscal sustainability of MINET.
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy to recruit interest in hotel development.
- Develop a tourism marketing strategy in partnership with regional and local interests that include local businesses, regional agricultural producers, other municipalities and economic and business development organizations.
- Increase support for business incubation and growth in order to provide a stable business environment through partnerships with local and regional business support organizations, local property owners and investors.
Enhance the marketing efforts to brand the City as a "first consideration" place for entrepreneurs to do business.
- Create a business guide and resource information that can be distributed beyond the City limits.
- Improve the business environment in downtown by enhancing rewards for utilizing buildings to their highest and best use, and if feasible, implementing dis-incentives for failure to do so.
- Creatively support riverfront development as opportunities become available.
- Assist youth in developing job skills.
5. Explore reasons for low participation, then create and implement a process to improve access and participation in City boards, commissions, activities and services by people of all demographics.
The City Council adopted a Strategic Plan to provide Council, Staff and the Community metrics to assess the progress being made towards achieving Council and management goals for the successful operation of City government.