Overcast, mist, 8 °C / 46.4 °F
How can Independence create an even better system of parks and recreational facilities that meet the community’s needs now and in the future?
A new and improved plan to guide the future development and enhancement of existing and future city parks, trails and other recreational facilities is underway. The City of Independence is updating its Parks and Open Space Master Plan starting this summer. The goal of the project is to address the changing recreational needs of our larger, more diverse population to ensure that the city’s facilities reflect current future recreational trends.
The Parks and Open Space Master Planning process will address all aspects of parks, open space and recreational planning, including meeting the following goals:
• Realize the incredible potential of the Willamette Riverfront by enhancing existing facilities and creating new ones along the river.
• Determine how best to improve existing neighborhood parks to meet the needs of local residents.
• Create recreational opportunities for visitors that can enhance the city’s economic vitality.
• Chart the path for development of new parks in future growth areas and new developments.
• Protect natural areas and open spaces to enhance the livability of Independence.
• Partner with community groups to continue to help maintain and enhance park and recreation facilities and programs.
• Establish a set of funding mechanisms that will help pay for the development and maintenance of park and recreation facilities in a cost-effective, financially feasible manner.
It is essential for as many people as possible, including residents, workers, business owners and other community members from all walks of life participate in this important planning process. The project will provide many different opportunities for you to understand what is going on, weigh in with your priorities for parks, recreation facilities and open spaces in Independence, and offer your opinions about the decisions the City will be making:
• Meetings of a Parks Advisory Board open to the public.
• Online surveys, questionnaires, and comment forms.
• Regular updates in the City newsletter and Website.
• Information and opportunities to comment at local festivals and community group meetings.
• Community workshops and open houses.
• In person surveys and discussion groups.
• Ability to comment via phone, e-mail, or in writing to City of Independence staff.
For more information about the project, to provide comments, or to be added to a project contact list, please contact Mike Danko (503) 838-1212 or Shawn Irvine at (503) 837-1191.