Click on a marker to view tour details
109 S. Second St.
Built in 1888, this one and one-half story residence is square in plan with additions. The original owner was Albert Sperling; a well known carpenter and house painter in Independence around the tum of the century. Sperling probably built the residence himself. The Sperling family built the Sperling Hotel which is still standing at 114 S. Main Street in downtown Independence
Independence Christian Church
350 A St.
The Christian Church was built in 1886 by members of the congregation for a cost of $2,000 and was originally located on the comer of 3rd and “D” streets. It was later moved to its present location and used by the Pythian Sisters. It was eventually converted into a private residence.
Independence Elementary School
150 S. 4th St.
The present Independence Elementary School is the site for a former school building which was constructed in 1891. In 1925-26 the Oregon Normal School built the existing building for a cost of$1 l 7,361. The building was used as a training school facility until it was converted into a elementary school. A two room addition to the building was made in 1959.
224 S. 3rd St.
This residence was originally owned by J.S. Cooper, a prominent business, person in Independence. Cooper was elected mayor of Independence from 1904 to 1905. Another resident of the building was Dean Walker. The Walker’s son R.M. Walker became the president of First National Bank of Independence and was mayor from 1918 to 1925. Walker’s other son Dean, served as Senator in the State Legislature for many years.
386 Monmouth St.
The residence was built by J.A. Wheeler around 1880. Lucy Ann and John Wheeler were both from New York and first appear in Oregon in the 1880 census. Wheeler operated a blacksmith shop on Main Street, was very active politically and served on the City Council. The residence remained in the Wheeler family until 1902. Later occupants included Glen and Carolyn Smith. Smith was Postmaster of Independence from 1933 to 1957.
The Butler Residence
411 Monmouth St.
This building was constructed in 1890 by Ardella & Otis Butler. Otis served as mayor from 1902-1903. The first telegraph and car in Independence were said to be owned by the Butlers. The Butler residence was on a large lot surrounded by fruit trees which were a product of Otis's love of grafting. The residence remained in the Butler family until 1954 when it was sold and turned into The Elliot Apartments. It is currently a private residence.
887 Monmouth St.
This Gothic Revival building was constructed by the John E. Davidson family in 1880. Davidson was born in Barron County, Kentucky in 1823 and moved to Oregon from Illinois in 1850. Davidson, along with a partner, have been credited with building the first business house in Independence. The building has had many subsequent owners over the years. There is a carriage house now used as a garage associated with the structure.
The Pink House
242 D St.
If your hungry, stop for a bite to eat! This Gothic Revival house was built in 1875 by Dr. John Davidson. The house was occupied by banker and politician James S. Cooper at its original location on Third Street from 1883 to 1913, at which time it was moved two blocks South. Davidson, a medical practitioner and merchant who established the community's first mercantile store, arrived in the area in 1850 and was one of the earliest residents of Independence. In 2006, the house was moved yet again to its present location and is now a café.
The Tasco House
414 S. Main St.
This bungalow style building was constructed by the Cooper family around 1914. Other occupants include Dr. O'Donnell and Gladys and Clifford Glassen. The Glassens were occupants from about 1945 until the I 960's. The stone work on the building is probably the work of Clyde Williams It is now serves as a rentable vacation place for anyone who wants to experience and stay in historical Independence.