The primary purpose of the Library Meeting Room is for library-related activities such as story hours, author visits, exhibits, audio-visual programs or other activities sponsored or cosponsored by the library. These activities will receive priority in use of the room. Regular library service takes precedence over all other activities. Use of the Meeting Room must not interfere with the operation of the library. Meetings that would interfere with the work of the library because of noise or other factors will not be permitted.
The following policy shall apply to all users except for the Library and the Friends of the Library.
1. First priority for scheduling is for events sponsored by the Library, the Friends of the Library, and City of Independence departments. There is no time limit on how far ahead these events may be scheduled.
2. Local organizations and those organizations serving the Polk County area will have the second priority. Reservations will be scheduled no more than six months in advance. The meeting room may be reserved no more than twice per month. Additional meetings may be scheduled on a space available basis, no more than 7 days prior to the meeting date.
3. To reserve the meeting room, complete a “Meeting Room Reservation” form, and return it to the library circulation desk. A copy of this policy will be provided to each applicant at the time the reservation is made.
4. The Library shall have the right to cancel a reservation prior to use and will return any deposits. The Library reserves the right to make additional conditions for use prior to approval of a meeting room use application.
RULES FOR USE*
Reservations must be made by a responsible member of the organization who will ensure that all regulations are followed:
1. All meetings must be open to the public. The Meeting Room may not be used for private social functions, such as birthday parties, anniversary parties, wedding or baby showers, and retirement parties.
2. The meeting room is only available on days that the library is normally open. All meetings must conclude by 10 p.m. This includes clean-up of the facility and departure from the building. Any group that does not meet this deadline will be charged a $25 late closure fee, and may be
excluded from future use of the facility.
3. No group or person may charge an attendance fee for meetings or workshops held in the Meeting Room or make requests for voluntary donations and no sales may be made in connection with the meeting. Exceptions may be made for Library-sponsored or co-sponsored programs, and for non-profit educational groups.
4. Use by minors. The applicant must be of legal age. Groups composed of minors must be supervised by one (1) adult (age 21 or older) for every fifteen (15) children while using the meeting room. Supervision must be provided both inside and outside the building. Library staff will not be held responsible for the supervision of children.
5. The Library will not provide storage for property of organizations that hold meetings in the Library, nor may the Library be used as the official address of any organization. Publicity announcing organizational programs at the Meeting Room may not state or imply Library or City of Independence sponsorship.
6. The Library is not responsible for theft or damage to property brought in to the Meeting Room.
7. Only light refreshments may be served, such as cookies, sandwiches, coffee, tea, or cold drinks. All utensils, plates, cups and paper products must be provided by the organization and must be removed or disposed of in an acceptable manner following the meeting for which they are used. No alcoholic beverages will be allowed. Tables must be wiped clean after use. A cleaning deposit may be required. Coffee service is available (see fees below).
8. Users shall assume responsibility for cleaning up and for any damage to Library property or the facility, including any theft, breakage, staining or damage. Under no circumstances are chairs, tables or other equipment to be removed from the building. The room must be left thoroughly cleaned and free of trash. The Library may assess charges for damage or cleaning.
9. Tack boards must be used to hang materials. Absolutely no tape or tacks or other materials are to be used to post notices on walls or windows. Decorations shall not be put up without prior approval by the Library.
10. State law prohibits smoking in all facilities. The use of the meeting room shall conform to all local, state or federal laws.
1. Responsible for their own set-up of chairs and tables. The room must be returned to its original condition.
2. Responsible for maintaining order of the group while on Library premises and for enforcing the occupancy limit.
3. Responsible for taking reasonable care of the room and furnishings and for paying for any damages to the building, furniture, or equipment.
4. Responsible for prohibiting smoking in public facilities.
DEPOSITS AND FEES
1. The building is to be kept locked at all times when the Library itself is closed. The person
signing the application will be held responsible for making sure that all meeting room doors, and
exit doors are securely shut and locked and the bathrooms are empty and the lights turned off
before exiting the building.
2. If a meeting exceeds 4 hours (including set up & clean up time) a $50 fee will be charged.
3. Coffee (including cups, sugar, sweetener, powdered creamer) is available for $3 per pot (8-10 cup pot). Please rinse the air pot(s) at the end of the meeting.
4. Cleaning deposit. A cleaning deposit of $20 will be required from any group that has previously used the room and left it in a less than acceptable manner.
5. Late meetings. Any group that does not leave the building prior to the 10pm deadline will be charged a $25 late closure fee, and may be excluded from future use of the facility.
At the Library Director’s discretion, meeting room privileges may be canceled for reasons including, but not limited to, the following:
1. Failure of group to observe rules and regulations.
2. Failure of group to leave rooms and furniture in original condition – neat clean and undamaged.
3. Disorderly conduct, disturbances, and parking problems caused by the group meeting.
4. False representation of the group and its planned activities.
5. Unauthorized use of alcohol, or smoking inside the library.
6. Exceeding the occupancy limit (40 seated/80 standing only, no chairs or tables).
For questions contact the Library at 503-838-1811. *The Library Director may determine exceptions to these rules.
Approved: Independence Public Library Board- February 23, 2004; revised November 23, 2010
Printable PDF Version