A building permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, move or demolish any one-or two-family dwellings or related structures. Examples include:
- Adding a room.
- Building, demolishing, or moving a carport or shed of more than 200 square feet.
- Finishing an attic, garage, or basement to make additional living space.
- Cutting a new window or door opening or widening an existing opening.
- Moving, removing, or adding walls.
- Building a stairway.
- Building a retaining wall more than four feet high.
- Building a deck more than 30 inches above grade.
- Moving more than 50 cubic yards of earth or any amount of cut or fill on sites affected by waterways or slop hazards.
- Re-roofing only for commercial buildings.
- Historic homes
For more information, please contact City Planner at 503-837-1164