The Public Works Department strives to maintain quality public facilities for the citizens of Independence. The employees oversee many different city functions, including water treatment & distribution, wastewater collection & treatment, street maintenance, stormwater management, parks, and city building maintenance.

Capital Improvement Plan
Design Standards
Report An Issue
Indy Works
Leaf Collection
Master Plans
Public Works Projects
Utility Services
Wastewater & Water Quality
System Development Charges

Public Works Director

Gerald Fisher, PE

Frequently Asked Questions

Pacific Power maintains the street lights in the City of Independence. If a street light needs repair, please call them at: 1-888-221-7070, and have the following information ready:

  • Location of street light (nearest street address, if possible, and the nearest cross-street)
  • Reason for light not working: is it out completely? on all the time? cycles on & off at night? cover broken
  • Pole number if visible

A backflow prevention device is used to protect potable water supplies from contamination or pollution due to backflow. Backflow tests need to be completed annually, a reminder letter will be mailed out a couple weeks before your testing month. The backflow program is a State mandated program.

Yes, to protect yourself and your property from underground utility damage and liability you’ll need to call for utility locates 1-800-332-2344 or 811. The service is free. Learn more at