(Independence, Oregon) — Beginning May 20 through June 2, 2024, Independence police officers join agencies across the nation, including the US Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, for the Click It or Ticket high-visibility seat belt enforcement campaign, reminding drivers about the proper use of a seat belt.

The national seat belt use rate in 2023 was 91.9%, which is good — but it can be better. The other 8.1% still need to be reminded that seat belts save lives. Despite these steady increases in observed seat belt use, approximately half of all passenger vehicle deaths are unrestrained. Participating law enforcement agencies will be taking a no-excuses approach to seat belt law enforcement, writing citations day and night.

The Independence Police Department would like to remind our community about the importance of buckling up while driving—not only for themselves but to keep those inside the car and other drivers safe.